Sprouted Grain Bread - Video Recipe
with Anitra Kerr
Sprouted Grain Bread
Making Sprouted Grain Flour
- 6 cups grains (combination of spelt, kamut, wheat of your choosing)
- Fill four 1 quart jars 2/3 of the way full with your dry grain combination and then fill each jar with water.
- Cover the jars and allow them to sit overnight to absorb the water.
- In the morning, rinse the grains, and add more water.
- Cover each jar with a piece of cheesecloth, secured with a rubberband, and turn the jars upside down at an angle so the water is free to drain.
- Rinse the grains several times a day to keep them moist, again tilting the jars down at an angle to let the water drain.
- After 24 hours of rinsing and draining, or when you see the kernels beginning to sprout a small white tail, spread the sprouted grains onto mesh dehydrating trays to dry.
- I usually use 4 or 5 trays to dry all of the grains. Dehydrate overnight or up to 12 hours, making sure that the grains are completely dry.
- Now you're ready to grind the sprouted grains into flour to make your bread.
Sprouted Grain Bread Baking Directions
- Sprouted Grain Flour (made from above directions)
- 4 cups Hot Water
- 2 tbsp. Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Xagave (or Honey)
- 1/2 cup Powedered Milk
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1/2 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2 tbsp. Saf Yeast
- In a Bosch mixer, combine 4 cups hot water with salt, oats, Xagave or honey, powdered milk, oil, and 3 cups of your sprouted grain flour.
- Mix until well blended, 20 seconds.
- Add vital wheat gluten and yeast.
- Continue adding more flour until your dough begins to clean the sides of the bowl. Use between 6 and 8 cups total. Be sure not to add too much flour, or your dough will be stiff and dry. The more soft and elastic the dough, the better.
- Continue to knead on medium speed for 12 minutes until the dough is soft and elastic.
- Cover the dough and allow to rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface, and divide into 3 loaves.
- Place the loaves into 3 lightly greased bread pans, and allow to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until the loaves are golden.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, before removing from the pans.